Friday, June 3, 2016

ANNOUNCEMENT: Writing For Substream Magazine and the Future of Pretentious Best Friend

Attentive readers of this blog may have noticed that my review of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows was taken down a couple days ago.  That is because it has since been republished HERE!  I am pleased to announce that I am now a contributing film critic at Substream Magazine!

I would like to thank everyone who has read and supported me in the two plus years that I have been writing on this blog.  Three reviews a week can be taxing at times, but I do it because I’m mildly obsessive… oh, and because all of you loyal readers!

But that begs a couple questions about the future of this blog:

Will you still write for Pretentious Best Friend?

Yes!  There is nothing preventing me from writing for this blog while writing for Substream.  I actually plan to link to all my Substream articles from this blog, so even if you aren’t an avid reader of Substream Magazine (which you quite frankly should be, it’s a great entertainment news site), you can still follow my reviews from here.

Will you still write three movie reviews per week?

The answer is a very soft yes.  The plan for now is to begin publishing a back catalog of articles I have written over the last few months, still maintaining an average of three posts per week.  However, between having a day job and writing for Substream, I’m not sure that this pace is sustainable in the long term.  I’m going to try my best, but I’m only human; as much as I love movies, I would like to have a life outside of them too.

Will you still be writing on current theatrical and home video releases?

Yes, though maybe not in the way you’ve been accustomed to in recent months.  Over the past few months, I have reviewed upcoming and current theatrical releases by attending advance screenings.  As a member of the press, I still get to attend these screenings, but will usually be limited to publishing my reviews for Substream, depending on what films have been assigned to me.  Therefore, Pretentious Best Friend is going to revert to primarily reviewing home video releases and anything interesting I find on Netflix.  I may still write an occasional review of a recent theatrical release exclusively for the blog, but you will primarily be able to find those on Substream.  Again, those articles will be linked to on this blog for easy access.

Will you still be guest starring on the Snooty and Goon podcast from time to time?

I’m happy to say that yes I will be, assuming that Snooty and Goon will have me.  I plan to do a better job of referring this site’s readers to episodes that I appear in.  Below is a list of those I have joined in so far, and you can expect me in their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows episode, which will go live this Sunday.

Snooty and Goon featuring Pretentious Best Friend



I think that about covers all the housecleaning.  Pretentious Best Friend is here to stay, and once again, thank you all so much for remaining loyal readers over the last couple years.  I still can’t believe my dumb opinions have kept you coming back for more.  If you have any questions, leave them in the comments below and I will answer them as promptly as possible.  Keep an eye out for more reviews coming soon, both here and at Substream Magazine!

No comments:

Post a Comment